Unfortunately I cannot give people a clear answer "yes counselling is what you need" because every person is different, issues that people face are never exactly the same. What I can say is that every single client I have counselled has fed back to me that they have experienced significant positive change as a result of the counselling. It is not true that everyone shares this experience but it is generally the case that people will find counselling beneficial as long as they are coming of their own choice (not to look good to probation, to appease a family member etc) and they are either facing issues that they are struggling with or want to get more out of their life.
Counselling is not some miracle cure, different counsellors work in different ways and what is needed from the client is different with different types of counselling and different counsellors but with the energy and commitment from a client to attend work in the process it is amazing the changes that people have experienced.
Counselling can work effectively with everything from unhappiness, depression, loss, anxiety, bereavement, anger etc. If you are at all unsure we will always welcome people getting in touch with us. We can maybe dispel some myths and also answer any specific questions you may have.
We are in the process of creating and developing a blog where people who have received counselling talk openly about their counselling experiences. You may want to check this out to find more about how people who have experienced therapy talk about the benefits of counselling.
This article was written by Ben Wickens who is a qualified Person Centred Counsellor and one of the owners of Lighthouse Counselling.
- Choice and support to find the right therapist and type of counselling for you
- All therapists carefully selected and vetted by counsellors using feedback from clients
- Affordable and flexible service
- Clear service standards so you know what to expect from us and when
- We cover all of Greater Manchester
- Contact us to set up an initial consultation
It can be hard making that first contact to try to get support in managing whatever issues you may be facing. We try to make the process as easy as possible for you and are happy to answer any questions or queries you have.
Testimonials from our clients
- “I would like to thank, myself for taking the right option to do counselling and thank [my counsellor], for all the help and sup-port that he has given me, for me to overcome my problem and be where I am today”
- “I was shy and quiet at first, but once I got to know [my counsellor] it became much easier to open up. He has been easy to talk to and I soon realised that it was benefiting me”