Anxiety can hugely restrict your ability to get the most out of life whether through avoiding situations that are causing you anxiety or through the anxiety you are experiencing reducing your ability to cope and enjoy life.
There are several different approaches to anxiety counselling:-
Behavioral Approaches to counselling anxiety - Broadly speaking these approaches work through both safely and gently confronting you with your fears (desensitizing) as well as training you to interpret the experiences and situations causing the anxiety differently. For instance if someone had a phobia about spiders they might be introduced to pictures of spiders then "toy spiders" then small spiders in a safe and supportive environment. Equally they would learn ways to re-interpret their fears in more rational ways.
Humanistic Approaches to counselling anxiety - These approaches focus on providing a safe environment for you to explore your fears and feelings. You will be less likely to learn and be taught coping mechanisms than with behavioral approaches but through talking with an expert counsellor about your feelings you will often find your anxiety and fear lessening. Also you will be supported to explore the routes and causes of your anxiety which can be an effective way of addressing the anxiety.
Other therapists will take different approaches and the approach taken to work with an issue such as OCD might be very different from counselling general anxiety or post traumatic stress.
You might also be interested in another article we have about anxiety:-
- Choice and support to find the right therapist and type of counselling for you
- All therapists carefully selected and vetted by counsellors using feedback from clients
- Affordable and flexible service
- Clear service standards so you know what to expect from us and when
- We cover all of Greater Manchester
- Contact us to set up an initial consultation
It can be hard making that first contact to try to get support in managing whatever issues you may be facing. We try to make the process as easy as possible for you and are happy to answer any questions or queries you have.
Testimonials from our clients
- “I would like to thank, myself for taking the right option to do counselling and thank [my counsellor], for all the help and sup-port that he has given me, for me to overcome my problem and be where I am today”
- “I was shy and quiet at first, but once I got to know [my counsellor] it became much easier to open up. He has been easy to talk to and I soon realised that it was benefiting me”